Est; Franche-Comté; Doubs
Location of affected unit(s)
Manufacture For Transport Equipment
Manufacture Of Other Transport Equipment
30.91 - Manufacture of motorcycles

90 jobs
Number of planned job losses
Job loss
Announcement Date
7 October 2014
Employment effect (start)
2 February 2015
Foreseen end date
31 December 2015


Motorcycle manufacturer, Peugeot Scooter, has been taken over by the Indian company Mahindra&Mahindra with as consequence 90 job losses on a total workforce of about 488 employees. 51% of Peugeot Scooter, a subsidiary of the French car manufacturer PSA Peugeot-Citroën, was sold to Mahindra&Mahindra. Peugeot Scooter employs 488 workers on its site of Maudeure (Doubs), near Sochaux, which produces 35% of the company production. The other 65% of production comes from a Chinese co-enterprise in Jinan. Peugeot Scooter has been facing a significant decrease in importance in the European market over the last ten years. It has produced about 79,000 motorcycles in 2013. Peugeot expects that this new partnership will help to diversify its product range and to increase its sales on international level. Peugeot Scooter has started to negotiate a voluntary departure plan with unions to cut about 90 positions and to reach an agreement to restore competitiveness. During the works councils meeting of 17 December, the four unions CFDT, CGT, CFTC and CFE-CGC refused managements' proposals as they estimated that the departure measures would be too weak. 


  • 7 October 2014: Usine Nouvelle
  • 17 December 2014: Est Républicain


Eurofound (2014), Peugeot Motocycles, Merger/Acquisition in France, factsheet number 78030, European Restructuring Monitor. Dublin, https://restructuringeventsprod.azurewebsites.net/restructuring-events/detail/78030.