Business expansion
Région Bruxelles-Capitale / Brussels Hoofdstedelijke Gewest;
Location of affected unit(s)
Transportation / Storage
Land, Water And Air Transportation
Land Transport And Transport Via Pipelines
49.31 - Urban and suburban passenger land transport

800 jobs
Number of planned job creations
Job creation
Announcement Date
13 January 2012
Employment effect (start)
13 January 2012
Foreseen end date
31 January 2014


The land passenger transport company Stib is about to hire 2000 workers in the next three years. The company offers different transport services in Brussels area such as subway, bus and tramway. Also, with 6,500 workers, Stib is the first employer of the Brussels area.

On the one hand, the company needs to respond to the large expected increasing number of commuters (675 millions) in 2016 (to 311 millions in 2010). On the other hand, the expectable large number of workers who will retire during this time have to be replaced. This is why the company is going to hire progressively 2,000 people, with 800 in 2012, 800 in 2013 and 400 in 2014. Among those, 60% will replace old workers about to be retired and the other 40% will be necessary to respond to the growing demand.


  • 13 January 2012: Dernière Heure


Eurofound (2012), Stib, Business expansion in Belgium, factsheet number 72972, European Restructuring Monitor. Dublin, https://restructuringeventsprod.azurewebsites.net/restructuring-events/detail/72972.