Internal restructuring
Location of affected unit(s)
Sundsvall, Malmö, Köping, Eskilstuna
Manufacture Of Basic Metal And Fabricated Metal Products
Manufacture Of Basic Metals
24.45 - Other non-ferrous metal production

160 jobs
Number of planned job losses
Job loss
Announcement Date
8 December 2008
Employment effect (start)
1 January 2009
Foreseen end date
31 December 2009


The notices issued by Tibnor are part of SSAB's announcement (see separate factsheet No. 12488) on 9th December 2008 of a cost reduction plan, including a redundancy of 1100 employees.

SSAB holds 85% of the ownership of Tibnor while Outokumpu, another large steel group, holds the other 15%. 160 of the employees affected by SSAB's programme work at Tibnor. The site in Malmö will close down. The remaining affected employees work at the sites in Sundsvall, Eskilstuna and Köping. Total number of employed at Tibnor in Sweden is 1055 employees.

Tibnor purchase, store, pre-process and distribute steel and non-ferrous metals to the engineering, processing and construction industries in the Nordic region, Poland and the Baltic countries.


  • 9 December 2008: Dagens Industri
  • 9 December 2008: Svenska Dagbladet
  • : (www.ssab.se)


Eurofound (2008), Tibnor, Internal restructuring in Sweden, factsheet number 68191, European Restructuring Monitor. Dublin, https://restructuringeventsprod.azurewebsites.net/restructuring-events/detail/68191.