Business expansion
Nord Est; Veneto; Rovigo
Location of affected unit(s)
Electricity, Gas, Steam And Air Conditioning Supply
Electricity, Gas, Steam And Air Conditioning Supply
35.2 - Manufacture of gas; distribution of gaseous fuels through mains

120 jobs
Number of planned job creations
Job creation
Announcement Date
15 September 2008
Employment effect (start)
Foreseen end date
31 December 2008


Adriatic LNG, an Italian company owned by affiliates of ExxonMobil (45%), Qatar Terminals (45%) and Edison (10%), has announced the creation of 120 new jobs by the end of December 2008. The company will operate an offshore LNG (liquefied natural gas) receiving and re-gasification terminal that will be located in the northern Adriatic Sea.

The terminal will be operative in the first months of 2009; 80% of the terminal capacity is reserved for LNG supply from RasGas (LNG producer in Qatar) to Edison, under a 25-year Sales and Purchase Agreement. The remaining 20% will be made available to third parties according to procedures established by Italian authorities. The terminal should serve to diversify Italian gas imports and increase import competition. Moreover, the terminal should begin an important driving force to the area’s economic development, offering local businesses an opportunity to increase their visibility, both nationally and internationally.

The Adriatic LNG terminal, with start-up planned in 2008, is listed among the “strategic projects for the country’s modernisation and development” and is in the list of European common interest projects which defines a set of guidelines concerning trans-European energy networks. Moreover, this project has also been identified by the Authority for Electric Energy and Gas and by the Guarantor Authority for Competitiveness and Market as an essential element to improve the competitiveness of the Italian natural gas market.


  • 17 September 2008: Il Sole 24 Ore


Eurofound (2008), Adriatic LNG, Business expansion in Italy, factsheet number 67111, European Restructuring Monitor. Dublin, https://restructuringeventsprod.azurewebsites.net/restructuring-events/detail/67111.